Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ubuntu 8.10 reviewed


The new Desktop effect on Compiz and a KDE 4.1 Desktop sporting new look.

This weekend (1st Nov) I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10, which took a staggering 10 hours to update my box which hosts both KDE and Gnome. So I thought to review Ubuntu as a simple end user. Here it is

Firstly the things I liked:
  • Amazingly fast boot/shutdown time
  • KDE 4.1
  • Good looking art work for both KDE/Gnome
  • Slightly new Compiz effects
Then comes the things which make Ubuntu 'Rocking' always:
  • Superb driver support
  • Easy up-gradation/installation feature
  • Quick fresh install feature
  • Vast repositories
  • Amazing media rendering/acceleration with Amarok
In the end some things which makes any Ubuntu user 'Irksome'/'Pissed off'!
  • Kaffeine is gone for now.I dont know why KDE ditched Kaffeine and replaced it with some 'Dragon player'.
  • Hell long updating time! It took around 10 hours for me to update. I've seen even Vista taking such humongous time to update but I like Ubuntu and I want to it to make me feel 'GOOD' ;)
  • Initial glitches with sound I face every time I upgrade to new release.
  • Dirty looking GTK apps on KDE.
  • A difficult to remember keyboard layout for Kannada( in general Unicode).

No comments: